Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Good Do Die Young


Fred Honsberger 1951-2009

58 is too damn young. Today I was hit in the face with a 20 pound sledge hammer, or at least that's what it felt like. Fred Honsberger, Newsman first, Talk Show Host second, Humanitarian always, died this morning at his home.

I knew Fred, Fred was a friend of mine. As an influential member of the media, our paths crossed, but I am not going to give anyone the impression that we were best buddies. Fred knew a lot of people and I was just one of them. I knew him well enough though that we would have meaningful conversations and occasionally, shared a cannoli together. (Well not actually shared, we both liked them enough to have our own.)

Much has been written and spoken about Fred and much more will said. Fred was a faithful member of the Salvation Army and a devout believer in our Lord and Savior. Believe it or not, we did not always agree on everything and I use to tease him that he was too liberal for my taste, but he spoke what he believed and believed what he spoke. He walked the walk.
The voice of Pittsburgh is now silent. May our Lord and Savior welcome him home and say "Well done my son." Please keep his wife and sons in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers